Friday, March 7, 2008

Guest Post #1: Time by Druuge Mauler

Life can, apparently, be divided into 3 (three) 20-year chunks. Rumination on the reality of this creates an unusual sense of anxiety, not unlike the urge to defecate against one's will. At age 31, overweight, overworked and with the blood pressure and cholesterol numbers of a man twice my age, I understand that I am past the halfway mark for the second chunk. The second, all-important chunk. The one where you plant the seeds of fortune, family and start building your legacy (to be completed and enjoyed in the third chunk of life, of course). This, my friends, is a good time to review what we have done so far, what we are in the process of doing, and what we plan on doing. We can no longer use the qualifier "when I grow up..." when talking about our dreams. We're grown up. Soon, we won't be able to say "when I am older..." either. Death advances to meet you at a steady rate - one day at a time. Let us now take stock of the situation and act! Lose that weight! Marry that girl (or guy)! Quit smoking! Have kids! Make the investment! I have done some of these things, and yet have so much more to do. David Gilmour's words in Pink Floyd's immortal "Time" echo this sentiment...

And there is time to kill today...
And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And so, with re-renewed vigor, I trudge on. I know what must be done. I bought the bike, I made the resolutions. I set aside the money. I've planned the ways I would tie my loose ends from 5, 10, even 20 years ago (forgive me, Jeremy Lapus). I reach for another potato chip, as I make another credit card purchase, and waste 4 hours surfing the internet looking for another way to overclock my computer... all while laughing at a tripping midget. I realize that the tripping midget - is me.

Digg this

3 comments:

5 Guys And A Blog said...

I remember when we had this conversation about the twenty year chunks, my friend...sigh.

Time really does wait for no man, just like what our old teacher, Mr. Nestor Santiago from 7-Gonzaga, used to say.

Just keep living, bro. You have your family, your friends, a job to do, and a tomorrow to look forward to. What more can you ask for? In fact, we are the lucky ones, my friend. We have all the opportunities in the world. Others are not so fortunate.

Just keep living.

Rickious

5 Guys And A Blog said...

"when we're grown up..." That really struck a cord with me.

I think of it this way, "we have the potential to do something great" but at this point potential has no meaning, at this point we should be DOING something great.

I hope its not too late.

Rickious said...

In the words of the great Zack Dela Rocha...

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now."

Take the power back!